FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I collect miles on a 2nd airline?
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2003, 10:04 am
CMW

There are several FF CC that allow you to earn miles w/o paying the annual fee. The problem is that the earning rate is cut in half. I have 2 of these. I have a US Bank Northwest VISA, fee free, 2 miles per $ and a First USA United Mileage Plus VISA w/ same earning. I do not use these very often but they are connected to dining programs for different FF programs. The NW VISA I have going to Worldperks and the Mileage Plus VISA going to UA. Neither of these is my primary program but if I were to eat in my favorite Idine restaurant several times a month I could still earn miles(in some program) by using a different card each time. I have all of my CC connected to a different dining program with the one I use most (and pay an annual fee for) going to my primary program.

This is not a solution for everyone since some people don't want this many CC. There are some fee free mileage earning credit cards out there. You just have to look. I only use them as backup though since the earning ratio is about half of the one with an annual fee.

Edited to add: I would enroll in a program to get FF miles even if you may not fly that airline again or ever. You never know what the future may hold and most points don't expire these days. You might be able to redeem them for something or tranfer them to hotel points etc.

[This message has been edited by CMW (edited 03-28-2003).]