FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points Meriden, CT [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:24 am
Life_Platinum

Not much written about experiences at this hotel, so I thought I would contribute my experiences. On Friday, we were in New Haven CT, and we thought it was easier to stay over rather than try to drive home in heavy traffic, so we searched for nearby properties. Two Starwood competitors were sold out in New Haven, so we booked at this property by calling the hotel, 17 miles from the center of New Haven and reserving two rooms. As has been pointed out by a unhappy poster in another thread, the property is off the beaten path;however with GPS it turned out to be an easy straight shot up Interstate 91, then about a mile off the interstate in Meriden. Upon checkin, we found our reservations for two rooms were merged into 1 room, and fortunately, there were rooms available to unmerge the reservations into 2 rooms. I was recognized as a Platinum and given a choice of the welcoming ammenities (took the 250 points). However checkin seemed to take forever, perhaps as long as 10 minutes. Our friend became inpatient while waiting, and decided he needed to go out to his car to bring additional clothes in for the night. Upon his return, we still were in the process of checking in. We were given rooms 511 and 513 on the SPG floor, which were standard-sized rooms, but they had bathrobes and a complimentary bottle of water. The light on the left side of the bed did not work so I pulled on the plug and it came out easily from under the bed. I then rolled the bed away from the wall, but could not plug the light in as the nearest outlet was on the other side of the bed, far beyond an outstretched plug. (I wasn't going to read anyway) Guess they were trying to hide this problem from guests.

The airconditioners were window units and quite noisy causing my wife and our friend in the next room to mention that they were awaken during the night by the noise of the AC kicking on.

We had breakfast in the Sports Bar in the AM and it was satisfactory. Previously a OP indicated that the kitchen staff did not show for breakfast: it appeared to us that the kitchen and the dining room was adequately staffed to provide the service we all expect. Our walk through the hotel found the carpet dirty in numerous places (my wife always checks the carpet). There is an indoor pool which we did not try, as many of the guests had kids, all whom seemed to be having great fun in the pool. Guests have access to a computer which is behind a locked door of the business center which I used to book another AA flight. I remember being told that I needed to insert the room key into the lock, and then lift up on the door latch on checkin. When I slid my key into the door, the green indicator light in the door came on, but when I pushed down on the door latch, the door would not open. I tried it again, and then again, but with the same result, the door would not open. I then went to the desk clerk for help, and he chuckled, stating that the door latch was put on incorrectly, and one needed to lift the latch up, rather than press the latch down! I followed his directions, and the door magically opened!

The hotel offered us reasonably priced safe accomodations for a night, and is convenient for those traveling Interstate 91 from Boston to NYC. It lies about 20 minutes from New Haven, a trip that we considered too long to do again in the dark if we did not know the location of the hotel, or did not have GPS.