FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA to USA Olympic Trials (Swimming), Omaha, Nebraska w/photos
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:14 am
tom911
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
AA to USA Olympic Trials (Swimming), Omaha, Nebraska w/photos

Very early start this morning to find there was a shooting on 101 in Brisbane, north of SFO, that had closed the southbound direction of the freeway. Add on construction on the west side of the Bay Bridge, with traffic rerouted over surface streets, and decided to take the long route via 680/580 and the San Mateo Bridge to SFO. Smooth sailing all the way for the hour trip to the off airport lot I'm using this trip. I had tried priceline for the night before without any success, so it ends up being just a bit more to park for the week.

There must have been 100 people in line at the AA SFO counter and kiosks, which made me particularly happy that I had checked in on-line at home. Security took about 10 minutes. I was at the gate at 05:20 and we boarded at 5:30.

The 0600 757 service to DFW departed on time. I'm on a 25K award ticket booked 11 months ago, and the plane was packed. Had a window seat in row 13 and slept the whole way down. Traveling with my large travel pack which fits in the overhead just fine.

I have a Hotwire hotel room for $49 a night that I also booked 11 months ago.

Here's a copy of a short message I just sent out to family and friends, and I'll try to update this report during the 8 days of swimming:

I'm at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport waiting for my 1pm connecting flight to Omaha, Nebraska, where I'll be joining the Coughlins to see Natalie compete at U.S. Olympic Trials. This event runs 8 days and will be televised every night in the U.S. I arrive at 3pm and they're about 2 hours behind me on Southwest flights.

Here's what I've set my TIVO up for on the west coast (check the times if you're not in this time zone as some will be different). Natalie has entered five individual events.

Sun, 6/29, 8pm NBC

Mon, 6/30, 5pm, USA Network

Tues, 7/1, 5pm, USA Network (finals 100 backstroke-Natalie holds WORLD RECORD)

Wed, 7/2, 5pm, USA Network (finals 200IM--Natalie holds American record--and 200 free)

Thurs, 7/3, 5pm, USA Network

Fri, 7/4, 8pm, NBC (finals 100 freestyle-Natalie holds American record)

Sat, 7/5, 8pm, NBC

Sun 7/6, 8pm, NBC (finals 50 freestyle)

You need to place first or second to go to Beijing, except for the freestyle events where the first six go due to relay events. As prelims and semifinals are held the day before, it looks like she'll be swimming every day except the first day of this event. I may not be able to take photos because the event web site says cameras will not be allowed.

Natalie's blog on swimroom.com, reporting from Omaha

Natalie's profile on the NBCOlympics.com site

And a nice story in the San Francisco Chronicle yesterday

And, finally, tornado warnings and damage to the pool stadium in Omaha (at least I'm getting away from smoke-covered Benicia)

-----------

Heading over to the C terminal for my Omaha flight right now.

-----------

Arrived safely in Omaha. Got the airport shuttle to my hotel, and I'm within walking distance of the pool (mile or two--hoping to avoid a rental car and just use cabs when needed). Bright blue skies outside with a scattering of clouds.

MD80 from DFW to OMA had a 1:20 flight time and departed on time. Had a window seat in row 9. It was pretty obvious this was the swimmer's express as you could see them all carrying their gear, including a large contingent in orange Texas shirts. I was also the only EXP flyer to board when they made the announcement after first class boarding, so plenty of overhead space for my travel pack.

Off to meet the Coughlins who should be landing in about 30 minutes.

Last edited by tom911; Jun 30, 2008 at 7:51 am Reason: cleaned up links