FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa, CA [Master Thread]
Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:51 am
lakai

I just spent 2 nights there last weekend. Called in to see if I could get cash and points but apparently they don't offer that redemption at this property. I ended up paying for a regular room and using 10,000 points to upgrade to a "juinior" suite.

Upon arrival it looked to be a nice and quiet. The attitude and service at check-in was great. As we went into the building where the rooms were located, it was like a warzone. The first few rooms on all levels seemed to be going through construction and there were tarps that extended half way into the hall to cover each door. We were given room 1011 and that room happened to be one of the rooms under construction. Odd that the front desk didn't know this in advance but no big deal. I go back to the front desk and was given another suite on the 2nd floor that they mentioned was the "pacific suite" if I'm not mistaken. I asked them if it was at least the same size and was assured that it was.

We went back to the building, went in the elevator and same deal with the construction and tarps. When we entered the room it seemed like any normal room where the bathroom is next to the front door and the bed was king size bed was visible from the entrance. To our surprise as we walked past the room was HUGE. The original suite was supposely 740 sq feet or something, but this room was close to 1,000. We were upgraded to I believe the largest suite there which was priced at $899 per night on the site. The decor was decent. We usually stay at a St. Regis or Four Seasons when possible, but this was pretty nice for a sheraton.

There was a large living room with 3 person sofa, coffee table and 2 singles on each end. A large 42" flatscreen with HD on a console with cabinets and drawers with tall shelves on both sides. Moving on, there was a long granite countertop/bar with sink, and small fridge. There were also double doors on the other side of the room making it two entrances to the room. Room was decorated with nice art with great recessed lighting all around the living room area.

There was so much room that my 1 yr old son had more fun running around than when we went to legoland. As someone else mentioned the carpet was extremely soft! There were two sliding screen doors, well one but they slid apart from the middle leading to a tiny balcony. I don't know why call it a ocean view when you can't even see the ocean.

We went to check out the club lounge downstairs and our room key was not able to open the door. apparently no one's room key was able to open the door, but there was always someone there to help. The lounge was directly beneath the suite we were staying in, It was identical in terms of size and the bar. It felt like everyone had lounge access so it was always packed in the mornings and often ran into the same people. Someone who was eating breakfast asked us about the legoland entrance and as we both left the lounge, we walked past the construction and he mentioned that they gave him "free breakfast" for the construction going on.

Around 10am the next morning the fire alarms went off, very intense and ear drum piercing. They didn't turn off for 10 mins. We later found out that the alarms were set off by the construction crews.

Overall it was pretty good. Nothing spectacular but overall good experience.

I'd also mention that when the valet brought up my SUV (2008 BMW X5) I got a dynamic drive failure warning on the screen. Though not sure if the valet caused it, I did notice that they ride your car pretty hard when they bring it to you.

I took some pics of the room and will try to put it up on tripadvisor later on..