FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - overpay for schedule - delay - end up on originally cheaper flight
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:09 pm
Sam - DFW

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Originally Posted by bdemaria
And in the interest of fairness, if AA were to refund your money, then the following would also be necessary:

You have a choice of Flight A (6:00 am departure) for 200.00 and Flight B (8:30 am departure) for 350.00, you don't want to get up at 4:00 am but you still book flight A b/c it is cheaper. It gets canceled and AA rebooks you on Flight B - the more expensive flight - so you then owe AA $150.00.
you are missing a very important point.

AA is dumping me on a more expensive flight (albeit one that i did not choose), so it's their problem to eat the fare difference. they would never have a cause of action against me when they are forcing schedule changes.

i see no logical relevance in your example.

a more accurate use of your hypothetical: in your example, if i oversleep the flight (as opposed to it being canceled), AA could possibly charge me hundreds and hundreds of dollars (a lot more than your $150) or preclude me from flying altogether depending on availability.

in that situation, it is my fault, and i am forced to take responsibility. if i have irregular ops, i can assure that AA doesn't care.