FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - overpay for schedule - delay - end up on originally cheaper flight
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:13 am
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Sam - DFW
does anyone have any experience with this scenario?

i paid a premium for a specific itinerary b/c of the departure/arrival times on the two outbound flights. the first flight is delayed such that i will miss the connection to the 2nd flight. the aa csr could not provide any reason for the delay. when i miss the connection, i will almost certainly be rebooked on the last flight out - a flight that i originally passed up despite a cheaper fare. the fare difference was $100+, but i don't remember exactly how much.

while i expect no action whatsoever from american, i wondered if i have a legitimate cause.

if i capture the screen with fares during booking (schedule and fare lends itself to this very well), could i be reimbursed for being placed on cheaper flights when this occurs? it only happens a few times a year, so i acknowledge it might not be worth my time. that being said, i am the one suffering the consequences when schedules go bad.
This might get you a few miles from a sympathetic customer relations person, but that is iffy. Of course, FT has a nice long compensation thread with quite a few items that I wouldn't have compensated for, especially weather-related ones.
As a legal reference, I don't know how much a printout is worth, since it is relatively easy to adjust numbers in a print out, and AA can't be expected to maintain a record of reservations that were never completed.