FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regents Park Marriott, UK [Master Thread]
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:13 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I was in Rome at an SPG property and they did this very same thing except it was to Unicef and in Euro's but it did Pi$$ me off enough to tell them to take it off and I told them why which was I don't like the idea of them just putting it on the bill and leaving it up to me to remove it. Had they asked at check in if they could put it on or just 1 euro or something, fine, but to do it this way, no way.. I will not do it and it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Well I didn't get that bent out of shape over it since the sign in the room said they'd be willing to take it off & there were no questions asked or attitude when I did request that it was taken off. If there had been I would have politely explained that I have my own list of charitable organizations I donate to, which is sufficient. Having said that, I agree that an opt-in rather than opt-out would work better for the guest, although the charity probably benefits more from the opt-out (ie, a lot of folk will just leave it on their bill). And of course if you do decide to leave it on your bill you can claim it on your taxes as a charitable deduction, just make sure you know what the exchange rate is so you get full credit.

Cheers.