FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GONE : Le Meridien Khao Lak, Thailand (leaving Starwood 31 Oct 2014) [Master Thread]
Old Jun 19, 2008, 4:14 pm
Arandora

Programs: SPG, Sofitel Privilege
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
When driving in Thailand remember that the double yellow stripe down the center of the road marks the passing lane

"Road markings
I see various roads on the island marked in different ways. I have asked many people precisely what all the marks mean but no one seems to know.

Could someone please clarify what the following mean:

1. Dotted line down the center of the road.

2. Solid yellow line down center of the road.

3. Double yellow line down the center (close together).

4. Double yellow lines down the center (about 1 meter apart).

5. Single solid white line about 1.5 meters from the side of the road.

John D, Phuket Town. Friday, October 25, 2002
“The dotted yellow line down the center of the road indicates that you may overtake with safety.

On roads in town, a solid yellow line down the center of the road means ‘strictly no overtaking’. On main roads or highways the solid double yellow lines mean the same.
Double yellow lines down the center of the road about a meter apart, where one is solid and the other is dotted, mean that drivers or riders on the dotted-line side may overtake, though with caution.

The single solid white line about 1.5 meters from the side of the road indicates the boundary of a lane for use by two-wheel vehicles.

These markings are very similar to those in some other countries, but some drivers here are not very diciplined; they do not follow the rules, and sometimes cause traffic problems.”

Friday, October 25, 2002 Pol Lt Col Teerapol Thipjaroen, Inspector of Traffic Police. "

Although an old link I don't think these regulations have changed and as staed double lines down the centre of the highway indicate that overtaking is prohibited although in practice both locals and farangs ignore this. If this is not the case could you please source your interpretation so that I can tell the locals who told me otherwise when I return to Khao Lak next January.