FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - marriott/marriott visa card
View Single Post
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:56 pm
TravelingJoel

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by arubalad
again, I would of understood, if I was told there seems to be a problem BUt to be told my credit was declined does not seem right. I have also had credit card companies talk to me when it involved security and I appreciated it. When I called visa an apology would of sufficed
Just keep in mind, hotel front desk clerks do not always know all the codes that come up on their credit card systems. I worked at a gas station in college, and let me tell you, there are plenty of codes that can come up that are not "approved". The odds that the clerk would know what Denied 05 means, as opposed to Denied 79 are slim to none. The net result was that your card WAS declined, even if it was for "your own protection" from fraud.

I'll echo some of the previous comments that I've had it happen to me plenty of times, and was quite pleased that Chase took that step. Any time there is a strange large purchase, they can and should (IMO) block that transaction. It's not usually a big deal for me to call and resolve the issue in under 5 mins with customer service. Of course, there was one situation about 6 months ago where my card was denied, and when I called, I found out someone had just made a $2500 purchase at CVS somewhere in Florida, while I was in LA for work... that call took closer to 15 or 20 minutes. They canceled the card and I got the new one a couple days later.