FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Jun 13, 2008, 10:10 pm
lili
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Speaking of $2 bills, anyone know where I can get some?
I got a $2 Susan B Anthony at the recycling place. Nice recycling.

Back to the Pres $1 coin: I really like the concept of charging coins to a mileage CC and no shipping cost, but we already know the US Govt is not too clever.

Coins are HEAVY! Not like you're going to carry around a $200 box So they don't work for me for travel, when I weigh my paperback books to make sure I can lift my rollerboard into the overhead. And they can't be changed for non-US currencies, and would be really tacky and heavy for a tip on a $150 dinner - besides I get miles when including the tip on my Amex card.

No public transportation where I live, no parking meters, no Starbucks, no tipping, so using coins only works for me at drive thrus with say a $7 purchase, maybe an occasional purchase at a farmers market or swap meet? But hey, no farmers' market or swap meet withing 20 miles.

When stuck in the Mexican drive-thru or In-n-Out I spend the time in my car searching out change to get rid of to lighten my purse and the pockets in the car. Can't imagine going into the roll of dollars from the Mint to take 7 presidential coins down the street for Combo #3.

I estimate it would take 1.5 years and a lot of attention to detail to unload a $200 box of Pres coins with my current lifestyle.

What are they good for? The Tooth Fairy comes to mind! But, wait... I don't have 40 grandchildren each about to loose 5 teeth ...

Anytway, I can rack up a humungous number of miles just buying gas!