FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:50 pm
brarrr

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by jackal
Finally re-met beckoa--turns out he was at the Solstice Do at Casa de Bob W last year. (Bob, you sure that wasn't two years ago? )

I've been following the "Never fly Alaska Airlines with a child!" thread. Interesting. It appears to have been started somewhere else (TravelBuzz, maybe?) and moved here, so I suspect that many of the people following it are not AS forum regulars and are keeping updated on it via MyFlyerTalk subscriptions, so they're not really in tune with the atmosphere over here on our board--it reads more like many of the threads on more active forums, like UA or AA.

It's been interesting and encouraging to see more active posting and vigorous debate, but with that has come some of the mild animosity and ever-so-slightly personal attacks that tend to be promulgated on these other fora--nothing violating the ToS or anything, but it just seems so out-of-character for us mild-mannered West Coast AS flyers!

So, I thought I'd ask and take a little informal poll: do you guys (AS forum regulars, although it's open to comment by everyone) prefer the lower-activity, friendly atmosphere that more or less predominates the AS forum or the higher-activity, adversarial, argumentative style that seems to predominate on the larger forums?

One thing about the argumentative style: you definitely get to know people better (by way of their opinions). Sometimes I feel like I don't really know many people here (which might explain why I've been so active trying to get the ANC residents together and meet as many people as possible!). On the other hand, I don't like making "enemies," and if we do cross paths someday, I don't want to feel any animosity towards you because of an argument we had on FT!

What say you?
I'm enjoying the thread and really hope they don't shut it down. The risk analysis/economics discussion in the past 24 hours has been really good in pointing out the irrationality of others and their inability to accurately assess risk (ie you really are putting a dollar value on someone's life with various decisions albeit subconsciously)

In most threads such discussions never happen here... for better or for worse.