FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - with all airlines reducing fleet size , whats the future
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:02 pm
silverthief2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
And, of course, if fewer people are flying, it means lower hotel occupancy, so I would expect hotel rates to come down as well -- which means you might pay $200 more for airfare, but save that on hotel costs.

I am really curious to see what happens in Las Vegas in this regard. It seems like the number of offers coming from Vegas the last couple of months have increased significantly. I am nowhere near a "roller" yet hardly a month goes by now that I don't get a couple of "three free nights" offers from Vegas hotels, and it likely will only get better. (Not to mention how the price of gas will impact those driving to Vegas from LA).
Interesting observation. I'm also getting more of these offers than usual, from Vegas hotels as well as one in Dallas that all seem to be really hurting for business.

I also wonder about the impact of grounding planes and rising fares on airport expansions. Several airports (including RDU) are finishing major upgrades, and I'm just glad that the timing allowed RDU's new terminal to go forward, because cities that are in the early planning stages of such projects are going to have a much harder time justifying expansion.

Last edited by silverthief2; Jun 5, 2008 at 1:15 pm