FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa {US-FL}
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:55 pm
BJfly

Hilton Sandestin Trip Report

Stayed for a week in late May 2008 at the Sandestin Hilton.

1) At least while we were there, the beach was wonderful. Powder sand, warm water, no jelly fish. $40.00 per day for a setup of 2 chairs and an umbrella. Of course you can always buy your own and carry it down. Sign claimed that it was a private beach. Beach was definitely a highlight of the hotel and the area. It is hands down the nicest beach I have been to.

2) Pools were nice, but can be hard to get chairs unless you "reserve" for a fee. Lots of people plunking down towels in the morning and then not using the chairs at all. There needs to be a solution to that type of behavior. Pool water was pleasantly warm.

3) As a diamond received 2 vouchers each day for continental breakfast. For an extra 8 dollars or so per person, upgraded to full buffet which included omlet station, belgium waffle station, as well as traditional breakfast items. Kids 5 and under were free.

4) As a diamond received two small Evian waters each evening and complimentary internet access.

5) Self parking is $10.00 a day. The hotel has a shuttle service to take you around the area, so a car is not necessary.

6) Fun area with lots of food options and shopping nearby. A solid 20 minutes from Destin itself. Took 90 minutes to get to Pensacola airport.

7) Room often didn't get serviced until close to 5pm - not a major problem, just later than most places.

8) There is a deli / coffee shop. Prices are rediculous. Gift shop was nice with more reasonable prices.

Room was above average - well sized, great ocean view. Small fridge and microwave. Flat screen TV. Comfortable bed. There is a tower side to the hotel which is more recently renovated, which is where our room was.

Spa and health club looked great, but never actually used it.

Breakfast was very good, interior restaraunts all looked good. Food at the outside restaraunt wasn't that good.

Elevators were constantly breaking - at busy times there were waits for the elevators.

Kids programs were very well staffed and well run. $40.00 per 1/2 day session including a meal (discounts available for multiple day commitments)

Staff was all nice, but many seemed to be brand new and didn't know much about the hotel or the area. Probably in May they start bringing on the summer help, so my guess is that was a temporary issue.

Memorial Day weekend was the official start of high season, and the change was quite perceptable... wait for breakfast, difficulty getting table for lunch. The first part of the stay was much more relaxing.... once the crowds hit is started getting to be a bit of a zoo.

Overall, I thought that the resort was great. I would recommend early May before the summer crowds start.

BJFly