FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Favorite Gay Bar Anywhere?
View Single Post
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:44 am
Pewit

As a long-timer admirer of older men (I edit GrayGay.com) I may have a slightly different top bar list to most of the others:

The Hideaway, Dallas
Boast an excellent piano bar and a neighbourhood bar separated by a deck where they have cook-outs (as in cooking) weekly. A nice place whatever your tastes.

The Quebec, London
Now that I've left London for Australia I really miss this place. Probably the best bar for older men and their admirers in Europe with a big lounge bar upstairs (where you can actually talk) and a darker crusier bar with a weekend dancefloor downstairs. They also have the best Karaoke sound system I've heard - even if the kit is old.

Alexander's, Paris
It may be small and narrow but the welcome from the inimitable Irish Steven and his French partner is unequalled - plus they do a huge selection of bar nibbles at cocktail hour and the place is packed as a result.

Tropics, Ft Lauderdale
A restaurant and piano bar that attracts a wide age range - mainly becasue the food if good. Excellent piano bar and a huge fishtank add to the ambiance.

Details for all the above on the GrayGay Guide at www.graygay.com

The RIP list
The Alta Plaza, San Francisco
Fantastic bar with "real" bartenders who could mix anything you asked for, live music playing most nights and a great restaurant on the mezzanine level - SFO has NOTHING like it now :-(

Napoleon Club, Boston
Not one but two piano bars and a dancefloor upstairs at weekends. Great piano-players (especially Maxine) and singers too.

Napoleon's, London
A great nightclub with a Restaurant, 3 bars (including the Horseshoe bar with Grace Jones on loop), a dancefloor and fruits in suits of all ages - what more could you ask for!