FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling with Lithium-ion batteries
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2008, 11:13 am
donnyb

Programs: AK, DL,UA
Originally Posted by Cha-cha-cha
I've read the above and the TSA pages about Lithium batteries, but I'm still confused.

If I understand, a "big" lithium battery, like in a camera or cell phone, can be carried on the plane in the camera or cell phone, right?

But what about small non-rechargeable AA Lithium batteries, like the Energizer E2 ones? Can these be carried onto the plane? Can they be put into checked luggage? In either case do they have to be in the original packages, or in special packaging, or can they be loose?
Camcorder and cell phone lithium-ion batteries are not "big". The ones they consider "big" are much larger, like the extended power packs for laptop computers. Any rechargeable Lithium battery can be checked if it is installed in the device. That is, if you are comfortable with checking the device in the first place. Otherwise carry it on, and carry on any spare batteries for these devices, preferably in a plastic box or some other container to prevent shorting of the contacts.

Lithium primary AA batteries can be checked only if they are installed in the device. Otherwise carry them on, preferably in original packaging. There is no "official" limit on the qty you can carry on of these. Believe me I tried to get a definitive answer from TSA and DOT and got nowhere. The official reply from TSA was: " no specific qty limits, it is up to the checkpoint staff to determine what is a safe amount." I have carried on 24 without even a blink at the checkpoints.

Avoid carrying batteries around "loose" to prevent shorting them, which will result in a lot of heat, or in the case of lithium, a small explosion.