FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotels that do not participate in SPG
View Single Post
Old May 27, 2008, 7:40 pm
sc flier

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I've monitored this thread from the very first post but decided to stay out of it until some sensible discussion emerged and the Starwood Lurkers joined the fun.

Some of my observations:

1. While most of the Le Meridien properties in UAE still do not participate, SPG clearly has been working on this issue. The following two LM properties in Dubai began participating within the past year or so:
Al Sondos Suites by Le Meridien
Dar Al Sondos Apartments by Le Meridien
Hopefully others will follow. None of them participated in Le Meridien Moments. This issue was inherited when Starwood bought LM.

2. As has been noted already by the Starwood Lurkers, the Resort at Singer Island is a participating property. I don't agree with the manner of their participation because I don't agree with their upgrade policy nor the apparent manner of determining their SPG category while still requiring additional points for all awards since every room is a suite, but at least you get stay credit and points when you pay for a stay there. But HOW they participate is different than WHETHER they participate.

3. Other chains:
There used to be a property that had the Embassy Suites name in Maui but that didn't participate in Hilton HHonors. It was a timeshare property, IIRC, and it is no longer an Embassy Suites. That's the only example of a non-participating Hilton property that came to mind.

However, it does appear that the Hilton Atlantic City also does not participate. There is a frequent fear that the same will one day befall the Hilton Las Vegas. The Reno Hilton was similar, and it was sold off a few years ago. At the Reno Hilton, the front desk would not give you credit or points if your rate was below a certain price (something like $49, IIRC), but if you sent your receipt to the corporate HHonors office, they'd give you all your credit due. Alternatively, the hotel would offer at check-in to charge you the minimum amount that they would allow for you to get your HHonors credits. Anyway, this is kind of like what dabbagmm was suggesting.

4. The fact that SPG doesn't even want some properties to participate intrigues me. Anyone want to pull up the list of non-participating properties and break down the reasons why each is on the list?

5. I don't understand the following statement: "Generally, any hotel that looks like a convention or resort are suspect properties." In terms of participation? Or just in terms of whether they will offer a late check-out?

6. "But at least spg doesn't have some weird unknown discounted rates that don't earn points." Such as prepaid packages to Maui that were booked through the Westin Vacation Club? How about rates that aren't even necessarily discounted such as any rate in which the stay exceeds 30 consecutive days? (Good news, BTW: "Effective June 1st, 2008, this will change to 90 consecutive days.") Or rates for stays that are master billed? Or group rates for a conference? (Again, not necessarily a discounted rate.)

Last edited by sc flier; May 27, 2008 at 7:55 pm Reason: Added 5 & 6.