FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!
Old May 21, 2008, 10:21 am
flight62

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by iztok
Can you actually evacuate mainline plane (i.e. Airbus, B757 etc...) in 90 seconds?

Do you guys practice it in CLT? If so, do you ever invite other people to participate? I mean is there a list one could sign up to experience this?
That would be a good idea. God knows if DP hears free, he might take you up on it. A lot has been made of the 90 seconds. Any time a plane is either added to an airline or to the industry, it must be certified. Part of that certification is the ability to evacuate the aircraft in 90 seconds. The FAA states 90 seconds as the standard time to get all passengers off the a/c with minimum amount of f/a's. When we purchased the A330, we had a group of our f/a's required to evacuate the amount of passengers of the A330 in a mock up. In this situation, certain doors are blocked...sometime half...and the f/a's must get all passengers off within 90 seconds. That group gets 3 chances to meet the standard. After that, if they fail, a new group tries. Usually everyone passes. I know US always has.

I am sure if the FAA felt it was beneficial, they would require it. I'm not sure about liability, insurance, etc that would be involved or if that even plays into it.