FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!
Old May 21, 2008, 10:05 am
flight62

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by *Propofol*
FAs have recurrent training yearly as mandated by the FAA. We get requalified on the operation of all doors, windows and evacuations specific to aircraft. We also review first aid, CPR, fire, bomb and hijack threats. My initial training included land evacuation of an aircraft blind-folded, water evacuation by raft in a pool, and a hotel evacuation. We were timed. Recurrent is much less intense and no one times you for anything. CPR is also a bit lax IMO. I believe that F/As are first responders in medical emergencies onboard and should be completely proficient with CPR and the use of the AED. We always page for help but it would be a good idea if all F/As were actually certified. Medical emergencies are much more likely than evacuations and properly trained F/As will make a difference. This will also enhance our profession as true safety professionals.
Just to add, this years recurrent training is tightening up on our f/a's and their proficiency drills. For those of you not knowing, we have specific procedures and commands shouted to get you off the airplane in the event of an emergency evacuation. In their excitement, many times f/a's flub up the drill. The FAA is not allowing ANY mistakes whereas in the past you could miss a word. All these emergency evacuation preps allow us to ready you the passenger to get off the airplane asap. The 90 secs you read about is the amt of time the FAA requires to certify an aircraft type to fly with a particular and of course is the parameters for which f/a's should definitely strive for.