FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Official Ask The Flight Attendant Thread!
Old May 21, 2008, 9:14 am
*Propofol*

Originally Posted by Flemish
Thank you for doing this Flight62! Muchly appreciated!

I have a similar question, do F/A have to go through a refresher of their safety training? I mean getting people of a plane in 90 seconds is something that needs to be practiced right?

Thanks!
FAs have recurrent training yearly as mandated by the FAA. We get requalified on the operation of all doors, windows and evacuations specific to aircraft. We also review first aid, CPR, fire, bomb and hijack threats. My initial training included land evacuation of an aircraft blind-folded, water evacuation by raft in a pool, and a hotel evacuation. We were timed. Recurrent is much less intense and no one times you for anything. CPR is also a bit lax IMO. I believe that F/As are first responders in medical emergencies onboard and should be completely proficient with CPR and the use of the AED. We always page for help but it would be a good idea if all F/As were actually certified. Medical emergencies are much more likely than evacuations and properly trained F/As will make a difference. This will also enhance our profession as true safety professionals.