FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Well OT - Entry to the USA during Visa Application
Old May 21, 2008, 1:20 am
The Bees Knees

Well OT - Entry to the USA during Visa Application

There seemed to be a lot of knowledge on this board about entry procedures to the USA in the 'Leeds flasher' thread so perhaps you'll indulge me too...

My friend (British) is engaged to an American and planning to marry in California in mid-August. They are currently living in the UK but plan to move permanently to the States at the time of, or soon after, the wedding. To that end, said friend applied for a visa (I'm not sure exactly what type) in March. He has just been informed that such is the backlog at USCIS they won't even be able to look at his application until October at the earliest. They further informed him that his application for a visa has been logged and linked with his passport number and that this information will be flagged at any immigration point. His chances of entry without a visa, they said, are "slim."

One option they are considering is just to turn up a week before the wedding as planned and hope he gets let in. The problem is that by this point guests will also be committed, and it would be a disaster if he's denied entry. He's also rather worried about being denied entry and then never being allowed in the country again.

I thought a quick return to New York may be an option to test the waters without a whole wedding party waiting for him, but the problem remains that there is a chance, however slim, it may jeopardise his chances of ever getting into America again.

Any suggestions / experiences very gratefully received.