FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport (Romulus) [Master Thread]
Old May 20, 2008, 5:41 pm
thaliajen

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
4 Points surprise!

I'm a self-admitted snob when it comes to hotels. As a member of Starwood I managed to stay away from 4 Points Sheratons for several years. As we have one near our airport in Detroit, and the Westin was full, I decided to suck it up. This was about a year or so ago and I hated it. The carpets were old and curtains shabby, and it stunk of cigarette smoke. I vowed never to return.

Recently, my hubby was unable to take me to the airport b/c of a meeting. I prefer to stay at the airport Westin anyway, as I get a better night's sleep knowing that everything is packed, and that home is only 25 minutes away in case I did forget some important item. The Westin's rates were really high, and it would've cost me a close to $100 in parking fees and gas both ways, if I had driven myself. So, I decided one more trip to the 4 Points wouldn't kill me.

I put off my arrival as long as I could and had the hubby drop me off. I was stunned to see a very nice lobby, a kind desk staff and a lot of improvements in the lobby/bar area. But what shocked me most was the room! I had reserved a double bed as they only had doubles left, but was upgraded before arrival to a King room on the SPG floor. It was as large as the rooms at the Westin, and completely redone. New carpet, new drapes, new furniture...they even have a microwave and fridge. The free bottled water was where it should be and a new flat screen tv hung on the wall.

This is now my 3rd stay at the 4 Points DTW airport in a month. I can stay here the night before my flights for 2-3000 points or pay a reasonable rate. (I can't even think about all the money I spent at the airport Westin, which, while a great hotel with fabulous suites, still charges quite a lot.) I admit it's the only 4 Points I have stayed at, but as this one is nice, I might explore others. Not on a regular basis, but hey, this isn't bad at all! They even have free internet in the rooms! THAT is new to me-do they all have that service?

In any case, I'm quite impressed and this admitted snob recommends the 4 Points near Detroit airport (actually located in Romulus, MI) as a nice place to stay!^