FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible to rent a car with a temporary license?
Old May 16, 2008, 8:48 pm
Flyer_70
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Possible to rent a car with a temporary license?

Here is the story: I unknowingly let my driver's license expire while I was overseas last month (read: forgot). Well I have a MR coming up this Saturday where I specifically planned a 12 hr layover as I would always kick myself for not getting to experience the cities I go to. Hence the need for a rental - I'll be in Portland, OR.

I went to the DPS a few days ago and got the license renewed.. however they will need to mail the new one to me. So all I have right now is the expired card with a piece of paper that essentially says *temporary* with the TX State Seal and all that.

I called Enterprise and explained the situation. They told me to take a hike - literally - "You'll have to walk.. we can't rent you a car.." I then called Dollar who was more than happy to rent me one for a mere $12.

So I'm a bit nervous that when I get to the counter Dollar will change thier minds. Contingency is a day pass to NW World Club (as I won't be able to drive - note I've not yet investigated the almighty Cab). But I would really enjoy exploring Portland (and do not relish the thought of spending 12 hrs at the airport!)

So anyone have experiences with renting a car with a temporary license?

ps: just realized I spelled *license* wrong.. can a Mod update the title? It's my profession.. we're known for bad spelling.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; May 24, 2010 at 1:51 pm Reason: Can't spell.../[Note by Mod: edited thread title at OP's req.]