FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Difficulties booking the lowest rate shown on SPG.com (Phantom Rates)
Old May 16, 2008, 11:16 am
BlissWorld
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by wolvie007
What I find misleading is that the rate of $138 only appears when I enter the dates I want to stay. To me, this means that for those specific dates, there are rates at $138.

I would understand if it was a higher level promotion where the hotel has rates starting at $138 for an undefined period.
My explanation to you is that spg.com looks for the lowest available rates that a property is currently offering. Sometimes it is able to pull from a list of rates that are not available to the general public. Sometimes it is not. For instance, the hotel may be offering a nightly rate of $138 via a corporate rate, which is not available to the general public. Or, the hotel is offering a $138 nightly rate under a specific promotion. spg.com will only list certain available rates, but not all. However, the search summary will sometimes display the lowest available rate found, whether or not it is available to the general public. This is more of a spg.comb issue than false advertisement.

Platinum concierge or customer service will not know how to book this rate unless they know the specific rate plans. Your best option would be to contact the hotel directly and inquire about these rates. Ask to speak with the reservation room/revenue controller.