FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Time to get married on layover?
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2008, 6:16 am
ADKOP

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Premier Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the GREAT replies! I'm going to try to call the court today to clarify the judicial waiver issue. Here's the link to the form itself, which states:

"We are advised that section 13b of the Domestic Relations Law requires the
passage of 24 hours from , before solemnization of our
prospective marriage can take place.

We have made preparations for our wedding unaware of this provision.
Grave inconvenience will be caused to these subscribers and our families due to the 24-hour
lapse following license issuance."

http://www.nycourts.gov/courts/6jd/f...rriagelice.pdf

They made it sound so simple the first time I called. It sounds like my only other option would be to try to change the date of our flights to New York to a day earlier and spend the night there. I have two problems there.

Firstly, I wanted to surprise my fiance' with the wedding. He has no idea I was thinking of doing it on the layover. We have lived together for 7 years and for various reasons never got married before now. Now that we have decided to do it, he keeps asking me when...when....when. I just keep saying...what's the rush? Don't worry about it, maybe I'll just surprise you. We were planning on just going to the courthouse because I didn't want to make a big family event of it. But I know he'd like it to be somewhat special. The only concern he has is that we do it before we leave for Europe. He wants it to be our honeymoon. So, I thought I'd leave him wondering if it's gonna happen right up until the last possible minute before we board the plane for Brussels and surprise him!

The other problem is that we are going on award tickets and there are no available awards for early in the day on the 24th. If we are already confirmed for the 25th, can I waitlist for the same flights on the 24th? Also, if they clear, will I have to pay the $100 ticket reissue fee? I would also have to keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't notice the change in the itinerary for at LEAST a little while, because I'd like it to be somewhat of a surprise.

As for who would marry us on the bridge, there are LOTS of websites for civil officiants in NY. I've spoken to one already, who will be out of town for that date, but she will try to hook us up with one of her fellow officiants.

As for our itineray the way it stand now, here it is:

Day Date Flight Status Class City Time Other Cabin
--- ----- --------------- ------ ----- ---------------- ------ ------ -------
Fri 25JUL DELTA 1646 OK R LV SAN ANTONIO 530A V 2C
AR ATLANTA 900A FIRST

Fri 25JUL DELTA 836 OK R LV ATLANTA 955A 2C
AR NEWARK 1214P FIRST

Fri 25JUL CONTINENTAL AIR OK E LV NEWARK 630P **
LINES 60 AR BRUSSELS 805A#

Thanks again for everyone's help and I will keep you posted!
Alma