FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - anyone ever been through an aborted takeoff/landing?
Old May 13, 2008, 4:41 pm
sefrischling

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
Had it happen three times I recall

The first time was maybe 10 years ago BUF-LGA on a US 737. We had the nose going up, alarms went off and we came to a screeching halt at the end of the runway followed up a lot of fire trucks. The "A-Side" engine started to blow flames out the back. So I'm pretty happy we aborted the take off.

The second time was heading from IAD to LHR on a UA 763. We were at the starting line, engines were going, there was a lot of chatter from an RJ that had no landing gear indicator. On Ch 9 the tower asked my UA flight kindly move up and clear the runway. With that quite a few vehicles could be seen coming upon the runway with spot lights, Ch 9 went dead. A few minutes later an RJ made a really low pass and my flight pilot came on the PA and said that anyone who was listening to Ch 9 can relax the what we heard was resolved, all is well and we'd be airborne in a few minutes (and we were).

The third time was a few weeks ago flying NRT-ORD on a UA 772. We were at what sounded like full engine power when the plane started slow down and we rolled back out to the taxi-way. Channel 9 went dead within a second of the engines going full power. All the pilot said on the PA was "Uhhh, we had a slight problem, nothing major..............we're number 3 for take off." That was it.