FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MSN article about boycotting ff programs
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2003, 2:55 pm
milesandpoints

Programs: DL DM, Hilton, Marriott & SPG Platinum & a whole lot of other programs...
I usually do not make it a point to comment on articles, but I must mention that your recent article on Frequent Flyer programs was very poorly written.

You mentioned everything in very high level, and led the average consumer to believe that all programs are a waste. While I do believe you are correct on some of your points (mainly #6), others do not carry much merit.

You mention someone spending a day to get Gold Medallion. While that may sound extreme to you, do you realize that gives you 2x as many upgrades, saves money on Crown Room Memberships, Gives 100% mileage bonuses, allows you to board early and use Elite Security lines, etc. That 1 additional day spend will save countless hours and money over a year of traveling.

I just booked my Honeymoon and my fiancé and I are traveling RT First Class to Spain and Rome. The tickets would have cost $9800 each, but we each used 100k United Star Alliance miles. We also redeemed Hotel Points to stay at 2 different 5* hotels.

I understand this may not apply to everyone, but making broad generalizations from a journalist in your position is irresponsible