FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What do you think of the proposed AA alliance with CO?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 3:54 pm
ndhapple

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by JohnFortWorth
I think it would be a very smart move by AA and CO management that would help both carriers. Yesterday, CO announced that it wouldn't consider a merger with United for now. I assume that the AA alliance proposal helped CO reach the decision that it could make it on its own without a merger. This keeps a big UA hub out of Houston and Newark.

As an AA customer, I'd like to be able to fly CO and rack up EQM's and mileage. I was Platinum Elite on CO for several years and their product is better than AA's in some significant ways: priority checked luggage for elites; free drinks and wireless in the President's Club; pre-departure beverages in first class; a much better business class offering on international and Hawaii routes; free snacks in coach during meal times; and cleaner airplanes. Maybe an alliance would force AA to match some of these things.
Keeping potential major United hubs out of Houston and New York City was obviously on the AA to do list, and it appears that they have succeeded.

As for the product; I would argue that NGBC (especially on the 777) is better than Business First. AA usually offers a pre-departure beverage service in First Class, and they have started a new program where they are cleaning the planes more often and fixing many more of the interior naggles at the B-Checks. I have seen the difference as AA's planes are looking better than they have in a long time.

Also AmericanEagle flights offer free drinks and snacks to Plat, Exec Plat, and Y/B/F/A/I (you know the drill) ticket holders. As to why they don't do this on the mainline I'll never know (especially since Southwest is doing it now minus the snack).

The Admirals Clubs also all have free WiFi now, but I would love for free beverages and snacks to make a return (would help incentivize joining the club).