FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Passport Was Stolen Today
View Single Post
Old Apr 23, 2008, 8:21 pm
Flyin'Mom

Programs: DL DM (where is my Diamond Tiara?)
Originally Posted by PTravel
I had my passport stolen, along with a lot of other stuff, a few years ago. Notify the passport office and get yourself a replacement. I had no identity theft problems, except that the thief, unsuccessfully, tried to get a credit card from my bank (my checkbook was also stolen, so he had my account number). The bank wouldn't issue it to him, and that was the end of things. It is a good idea, however, to monitor your credit reports with the three credit reporting agencies. They'll each give you a free report once a year, but even purchasing one isn't that expensive -- just a few dollars.
I did check the drawer where I keep checks and they seem to all be there. I'd better go back and double check the number sequence.

Originally Posted by UAL Traveler
Sorry to hear about your problem Fortunately, you'll have your new passport before you know it. Fortunately as to identity theft, the likelihood of that occurring is quite low. Your SSN is not on the passport, nor is your home address (unless you filled it in yourself after you received the pp). Your birthdate and state of birth are listed, but the city (sometimes used as a security question) is not.

However, it certainly couldn't hurt to put file a fraud alert with the various credit-reporting companies.
Thank you. I am just so rattled at the moment my imagination is running wild with what they could do. I think it is wondering why did they take that and leave behind the laptop and iPod and so on that is driving me nuts right now.

Originally Posted by PTravel
I got mine in 3 days, and it would have been faster if I needed it sooner.
I thought there was a huge backlog of applications and that it was taking a long time to get a new passport. Do they expedite it if it was stolen?

Originally Posted by msv
It also takes awhile to feel safe again. Glass is really easy to break.
I am so freaked out right now. I feel terribly vulnerable and not safe at all.

My big old hound dog was apparently scared silly and didn't do a thing. I found him <thankfully he was safe!> on my bed and there was a huge wet spot where he had been panting and drooling. What a guard dog I have!