FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How long do you think AZ will continue operations?
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:53 am
TRAVELSIG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
FWIW I would be surprised if AZ manages to survive that long unless Mr Mediaset gets his son to buy what is left of it. I suspect further that he did not make his billions by being an idiot and he will initially let it collapse . He can then get rid of the staff and hire against a completely non-union backgorund in a buyer's market. He will be seen as a Hero for raising the Italian flag. he will do with Alitalia what Delta and United did with PanAm. Wait for it to collapse and get everything for little outlay as opposed to AA paying a large sum for the poor old turkey that TWA had sunk to, or that BA attempted to do with Air Liberte. Fortuantely that folly was recognised as throwing good money after bad and so I imagine has this finally appeared to KL/AF.

Personally I would think that buying any Alitalia tickets in the next few weeks should be a fair bet unless one final strike does bring the airline to a halt. Beyond that you are in the hands of the national lottery which might reward you or which might cause you a massive loss. I only hope that those who did buy tickets did so with credit cards which offer some protection (full protection in the UK as they are seen as being part of the purchase).

Alitalia is symptomatic of much that is happening in Italy. The north generates most of the money which goes to Rome to be spent (for spent read squandered).

It is very sad to be reading about an airline which has never properly adapted to the modern times and which was an state property for years and which cannot subsist alone. I think that we may be being a little premature about the demise of Alitalia but if it could happen to Swissair it can happen here. I think that the collapse will be overnight. We will get up one morning to find it sitting at Fumicino lifeless and the aircraft in London and elsewhere stuck with notices over unpaid landing fees. Very sad.
Interesting thoughts as always Pucci!
Well, there are a few things to consider:
Malpensa will be unable to stay open without a major carrier- and there is pressure now to find someone to FILL the rent of Alitalia- AirOne (LH) could possibly fill this slot.
FCO is in the middle of a 150 million EUR expansion- which is continuing under the management of ADR- and probably their assumption is there will be some planes to fill this as well.
LH, through their Italian subsidiary AirOne has repeatedly been interested in a deal- but unlike AF/KL they had wanted clarification of the union status prior to finalizing an offer- hence their "unsuitability" as a bidder.
All this being considered, there are a huge number of people that fly in and out of Italy (not to mention around) every day- and that market need will be filled. Alitalia has an unused asset in a number of foreign routes which they underserve/do not serve yet still keep rights for- China is a good example- whereas the EU carriers cannot keep up with demand for F/J seats on these runs.
Let us see where this all goes- there are certainly a group of business people in the North who would like to see significant service improvements out of Malpensa and Venezia- and perhaps these groups will be able to broker a deal- maybe also combining with Aeroflot?
As for a final strike- who knows? Maybe yes, Maybe No- that is really a lottery guess...