FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?
View Single Post
Old Apr 18, 2008, 7:48 pm
GadgetFreak
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Some specific and general comments.

First some specific comments on what you packed.

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
I packed for a week. Was in CA from NH and unsure what to pack d/t climate changes. I fit it all into one 50# bag plus I had my laptop, phone, chargers, purse and misc in a carryon. The stowed bag weighed EXACTLY 50#.
If you check in the travel technology forum, there are devices available that will let you minimize your chargers. I have an Igo charger that has interchangeable tips so that I can charge just about any cell phone, iPod or the like with it. It is one charger that can charge two things at a time on a plane or from a wall socket and works with both US and foreign voltages (it would need just plug adapters for foreign use). They also make ones that can charge a laptop and a phone off the same device. Cutting to one charger can help.

Because I went to trade show, I neebies, needed the second bag on return flight for product samples, freebies and souvenirs.

I just felt it was a hassle to have so much stuff.
As others have said either mail it to yourself or dont take it. I used to get lots of stuff at such shows, I just dont get it now, but if you want it, bring something with you and mail it back in that.

I did pack 2 pairs of black slacks and shirts I could mix and match. A few jeans, blazers, etc.
1 pair of slacks, one or maybe two shirts, one pair of jeans and wear a blazer.

I think I learned I could possibly do with just one pair of shoes (I brought three- two black biz pair and a white pair for beach I never wore), 1 pair of jeans instead of three and less blazers as I only wore 2 for much of the time. One belt would have been sufficient and keeping main color all black instead of mixing it with browns would have saved me space for sure.
Yep, although I would cut even a bit more. My wife has gotten shoes for traveling that can do double duty, like good for walking and a bit dressy. She used to take 3 or 4 pairs, sometimes more, now it is 2 or at most 3, and that includes very long trips to very different climates (more on that below).

I will be looking for some of those travel suits (hard as I have 34" inseam) as well as stuff that hang dries nicely for future flights. Any suggestions would be appreciated- I have seen so many advertised.

My hairdryer is huge and I will look for an alternate travel one with a diffuser for my kinky curly hair.

Next trip my goal is to just use carryons! Oh wait- how do you get by with makeup and the restrictions? I cant live without makeup!
Now some general comments. I agree with what you said on a previous post that makeup really isnt an issue within reason. My wife doesnt carry a huge amount, and probably compressed a little but still carries what she needs in a large purse. Shoes on the other hand, are death when it comes to packing. They can weigh a lot more and take up more space.

The main thing you need to do, you have already more or less done, and that is decide you want to just go carryon. Many of us have our packing vices, yours might be too many shoes, mine was too many electrical gadgets, perhaps not surprisingly. Im still not satisfied with how I deal with that but it has improved a lot. The way I improved it was to force myself to meet a goal of getting it all in a certain size bag.

If someone packs what they need or think they might need (which is much worse) it can be a huge amount. If rather you decide on the bag you are taking, get the stuff you want to take, assign a priority to those things and then fill the bag, you are done. I used to take reference books with me to be able to consult if I had a question about my presentation. I was more or less insane in taking anything that I might possibly want or need. It took a while, and there wasnt an aha! moment really but but now I force myself to pack light and am so thankful for it. Now if it doesnt fit in the bag Ive picked it doesnt go.

My wife who hadnt traveled much went through a similar process. After a trip she would realize what did and didnt work then address that to combine and minimize. She is quite good at picking stuff for travel now. The toughest trip for both of us was a 20 day trip in December of 2006 that included Amsterdam, Zambia and Cape Town. That is a huge range of both climates and attire requirements because we were on safari in Zambia and at nice restaurants and museums in AMS and CPT. So we needed hiking clothes and hiking boots and such. Plus we had a significant amount of camera gear and some emergency gear. And we were limited to 30 pounds each since were on small aircraft and traveling by land rover over rough terrain while in Zambia. Being forced to do something like that is really pretty valuable and helped both of us.

If it is 1-3 days I now get everything, including my briefcase with computer and work papers in a Red Oxx Skytrain. I actually put the briefcase in the Skytrain so that I only have one bag to handle. I pull it out when I arrive so that I can take it to my meetings, leaving the clothes and such in the hotel. Im trying to stretch to a week with that arrangement. If it is more than 3 or 4 days I definitely do laundry while out rather than pack it all. Under some circumstances, usually 7 days or more and multiple climates or for some business purpose needing some extra clothes, I will take a 22 inch carryon and a briefcase or backpack, but that is the max. View it as a fun challenge and let us know how it goes. It really is great to not worry about carry loads of stuff or checking bags.