FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Praying passenger is removed from plane
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:12 pm
goalie
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
I'm no fan of overbearing authority figures, be they TSOs, FAs, etc., but I have to say that I find the title of the original article (which I assume inspired the title of this thread) to be highly inaccurate.

The passenger was removed for failing to follow crew member instructions. Period. Full stop. He could have praying, meditating, running in place, or blowing bubbles; it doesn't matter.

There's enough bigotry and overreaction around. There's no need to invent it where it doesn't exist.
yes you are 100% correct as if instructed to sit, you have to sit but if i may point out 1 thing from the article and a personal observation.

i have taken many an early jkf-sfo flight on ua and have seen many chasidim complete with tallit & kippah praying in the gate area so my question is why could he not pray prior to boarding the aircraft?

now, from the article with the bolding mine...

.......stood near the lavatories and began saying his prayers while the United Airlines jet was being boarded

my read on this is that the a/c was still in the boarding process and not ready to be "buttoned up". if in fact the case, there are other pax still boarding the a/c, still in the aisles, stowing luggage, etc so why not give him the 2 minutes as the pax 2 friends asked?

just looking at it from both sides.