FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A380 and 777-300ER on Singapore Airlines... and some more segments in F
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:39 am
stargold

Scheduled: SQ602 SIN-ICN 08APR08
Switched: SQ016 SIN-ICN 08APR08
F-Class, Seat 2A

Once I entered T3, I immediately asked where the transfer desk was. Yes, I already did have the BP for SIN-ICN sector already but I wanted to see whether I could switch to SQ016. Of course, that flight is operated by 77W so it has a much better F product, but also I really wasn’t in the mood for a 16-hour layover even though I could relax in the lounges and go into town. I really just wanted to go home and sleep. Clearly, Y on A380 is good, but not that good!

I had my doubts as to whether they would let me, but how do you know until you try? I wasn’t sure whether to be particularly optimistic or not, since 77W would normally mean paying a surcharge and it’s not even open for redemption for other Star carriers, which is what I did. So, I walked up to the J transfer desk (as the F one was busy) and asked her to check for me whether it would be possible to take the SQ016 instead. She didn’t seem to think it was a big problem and merely called to check whether they could cater for an extra passenger, and told me that although they’ll do their best, my BTC Lobster Thermidor may not necessarily be loaded in time. Well, I really didn’t care about that – if it meant going home 15 hours early!

After waiting for a response regarding the catering, she called me over and I received my new boarding pass I was really, really excited; as much about experiencing the new product as the fact that I avoid waiting for 16 hours for the SQ602.

Next stop: SKL F T3
I had clearly underestimated the size of the terminal, since I found myself walking a lot further than I expected to in search for the lounge. Maybe it was just general tiredness (staying up all night then catching a 13-hour flight ) Anyway, the escalator up to the lounge revealed itself soon enough, and I walked into the lounge.

I had heard so many different reports, mostly negative, about the lounge. So I didn’t really know what to expect. Not that I particularly cared too much, since I will only be staying for an hour instead of 16 hours The very first thing I did was ask where the showers were, went there, and took a long hot shower. I can count on one hand the times when a shower felt so good. As reported elsewhere, the door to the cubicle does indeed have a gap that an unscrupulous peeping-tom could take advantage of but the reports of lukewarm water was untrue in my case. The water pressure was very decent, and the temperature exactly how I wanted it to be.

After making myself decent again, it was time to take a brief look around the lounge while I waited for my flight. I could see why people were disappointed – it really was nothing more than a bog-standard average lounge. There was no bar service (only in late evenings), the food selection was good but not great, there were no comfortable relaxing chairs (only normal chairs) and there was just nothing that was remotely exciting as far as a lounge goes. If VS can manage a great lounge even for its J passengers (and not just at LHR either!), why can’t SQ do something more for its F passengers? Not that it mattered too much because once I had sat down with a few bites to eat, it was time to head to the gate and avoid being offloaded!

The entrance with the greeters...

I rushed to take a shower first - I needed it after LHR-SIN in whY!!

The wash basin in the shower room

Some shots of the lounge area

The non-operational bar...!! Apparently it opens for a whopping 2 and half hours every day (2100-2330). Even the SKL at ICN manages to have an open bar in the J section from 3pm onwards...

The dining area

Some of the food offerings - the salmon and some cold hams

Fried rice and pasta (if memory serves correctly)

The chef station where fresh egg dishes are prepared

When I reached the gate, clearly I was one of the last passengers to board as the area was completely deserted. I walked onto the flight, and that’s when the magical 6-hour flight began…

First Impressions
Big! Everything was twice the size of anything I had ever seen! (Well, until I saw the A380 anyway, but that wasn’t my seat so it didn’t count!) There were 8 seats in F in total, in 2 rows of 1-2-1 configuration, and the F “suite” was just enormous. I now realised what people meant when they said that two people could fit in the seat comfortably.

I was approached by the Leading Stewardess (LSS) who showed me to my seat and asked me for my choice of drinks. I would have normally gone for a nice glass of champagne (obviously!) but this time I wasn’t really in the mood for alcohol so I opted for orange juice instead. She offered to take my coat but I decided to just stick it in the foot-well instead.

There were 2 staff serving in F today – the LSS and the Leading Steward (LS). The LS was perfectly pleasant enough, but LSS was the one who really shined from the start. Her style of service was simply perfect – the right mixture of enthusiasm and experience. The more experienced SQ F flyers may have been able to find fault, but I certainly couldn’t!

Then she came around with the menu (which, by the way, was a full Lunch service rather than the abbreviated service on the overnight SQ602) which was enough to make me hungry just by looking at it, a pair of headphones, the useless sockettes (socks designed for in-flight use), eyeshades and slippers – slippers! I thought they only loaded them on the NRT flights! I use the slippers at home so I was glad to see them. However, as predicted, this was a day-flight under 7 hours so there were no PJs or the Ferragamo amenity kit. I did know this beforehand and realised that a pair of colour-unknown PJs and a little pouch of some perfume was not worth the very long wait, so I wasn’t too disappointed.

I asked the LSS whether my BTC had been loaded, and she said unfortunately it wasn’t. I also asked her to check whether my bag made the flight, but the flight pulled away before she was able to get a response so she kindly sent an over-the-air message and advised me that the ground staff at ICN should be able to tell me. She also asked me whether I would want to eat right away or later, and I told her I’d prefer to eat a bit later as I wanted to get some rest first – she couldn’t have been more understanding. When they say “eat when you want to eat”, they really meant it!

VIDEO: Take-off from SIN

As I only arrived 15 minutes before departure, it wasn’t long before the flight pulled away and we were on our way soon. I was really, really tired but couldn’t fall asleep as I was too busy being like a kid in a candy store with my new surroundings. So I remained awake until the seatbelt sign was turned off and then the service began.

I was in the mood for some coffee so, out of the 4 different varieties of coffee onboard, I settled for Jamaican Blue Mountain. It was brought to me quickly and I was glad to get some caffeine into my overworked system. I thought about whether I wanted to rest first as I had previously decided, but when she came around and offered me some satays if I wanted them, I couldn’t resist and decided to eat first and rest later.

I then switched to the Krug, thinking that I would want some alcohol so that I can get some shuteye after the meal. I’ve first tried Krug on a flight back in 2001 when I travelled in NH F, but of course I don’t remember the taste from a flight 7 years ago. Either way, it was really quite good. I didn’t quite get around to trying the Dom, however.

Last edited by stargold; Feb 1, 2009 at 6:20 pm