FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do you pack lightly? Is it possible?
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2008, 6:05 pm
yamakake

Programs: DL DM
Count me in as another person reeling at the idea of 50 lbs of luggage.

But you can also count me in as somebody who would only use hotel toiletries with a gun to my head. Weird hair and itchy skin is not how I want to go through the day. Those of you who can use hotel toiletries should count yourselves lucky.

Here's what I packed for a week in Amsterdam last week. This particular trip was vacation, but since it was a city trip the wardrobe was very similar to what I'd have packed for business. Amsterdam weather is notoriously unpredictable, so I had to consider everything from snow to driving rain to sunny warm. All of it fit into a 19" roll-aboard and a day pack (and neither bag was stuffed full, even with my purse tucked into the day pack).

Wore on plane:

black and white print dress
bra/panties/slip
black tights
black knee-high flat boots
black hooded microfiber rain coat (including liner)
red paisley scarf/shawl (doubles as extra blanket on flight, works as muffler for chilly days)

Packed in roll-aboard:

black jeans
blue jeans
3 cotton rib-knit turtlenecks (black, red, and apple green)
5 no-iron cotton blouses (black, white, apple green solid, apple green print, multicolor floral)
black knit dress, sleeveless
black knit dress, empire waist
aubergine knit dress, empire waist
pajamas (microfiber short gown with matching trousers)
fleece pullover
waterproof shell with hood
panties/bra/full slip/trousers socks/tights (plenty for the week)
black flat ankle boots
pillow (yes, really, my pillow)

Packed in day pack:

purse
gloves
umbrella
noise cancelling head phones and case
inflatable neck pillow
guide books (2)
novel
camera & camera charger
flat iron
toiletries (liquid, all in 1 qt zip lock bag): toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, salicylate scrub, micro scrub, toner, moisturizer/sun screen, under eye moisturizer, hair smoothing balm, hair volumizing balm, hair curling balm, under eye concealer, ointments (3), mascara, eye drops, perfume
toiletries (non-liquid): dry shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, razor, shower cap, face powder, rouge, eye shadow (2), eye liner, meds (3 prescription, various OTC, most in the same container), hair brush

I carried it all on, and returned with some unworn clothes. The weather was predictably unpredictable, though neither quite as cold or quite as warm as I'd taken into consideration when packing.

I've got a trip next January that last three weeks, and involves stays in Paris, Tokyo, and Mexico City. And I plan to do it all carry-on.