FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:26 am
stimpy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by vivifiant
A little anecdote: I remember way back in the early 80s when France imposed and enforced strict foreign currency limits to control cash outflow to Switzerland, etc. I saw a raid of by French fiscal police on a train from Paris to Brussels. In my train compartment they went through bags of grannies to see if they had a gift cards with some little cash for their grandchildren ... it was pretty traumatizing for those elderly ladies...
This reminds me of the one and only time (after 1000+ border crossings) that I was asked about money and even searched. However this was by Swiss immigration at GVA airport when I entered Switzerland (sometime in the late 90's). I was curious because I thought the Swiss loved it when people brought them money?

I always carry a currency pouch with cab fare, etc. in a dozen or so currencies. They had fun flipping through it, but it wasn't really what they were looking for.

P.S. Welcome Vivifiant!