FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:17 am
vivifiant

Smile Inflation adjustment on currency declaration limit

I fully agree with the writer who suggested to adjust the amount to inflation. After all we are talking about a relatively small amount of money here, just over 6000 Euros.... OK, it's more than one needs for tipping but not much if you want to buy a few gifts etc. and want to negotiate the price when paying cash.

To avoid hassling travelers the limit should probably be 20K Euros ($32K) and be annualy adjusted to inflation. That would still allow the government to go after big fish but don't bother the the small fries, the regular traveler.

A little anecdote: I remember way back in the early 80s when France imposed and enforced strict foreign currency limits to control cash outflow to Switzerland, Luxembourg etc. I saw a raid of by French fiscal police on a train from Paris to Brussels. In my train compartment they went through bags of grannies to see if they had a gift cards with some little cash for their grandchildren ... it was pretty traumatizing for those elderly ladies...

There has to be a balance in what government tries to accomplish and what is supportable for travelers.

Vivifiant,
Ohio

PS:
I would understand if the IRS would want to do some random checks on first class travelers who have OTC tickets on nonstop flights from Vegas to Liechtenstein.... but there ain't any nonstop...

Last edited by vivifiant; Apr 10, 2008 at 8:25 am