FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To whom do you declare you are taking more than US$10,000 out of the US?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:58 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by slawecki
in the past, i carried large sums of cash money out of the country. $25,000 to 50,000 was typical. this was back when you could really buy something with 50 grand us. TC's are a real pain, because each one has to be signed. maybe even twice. that's 500 of them.

at that time, supposidly if I called customs at IAD, someone who could accept the form would meet me at the ticket counter with the form. no one ever showed up. i told the ticket agent i was to sign the document, and went on my merry way. was never stopped going. got stopped a lot in heathrow on the way back. got asked all the time(still do) as to how much money i have on me every time i come into the country.

So, when you return to the U.S. and check of "yes" to the declaration question "Are you carrying more than $10,000" what happens? Does Customs give you another form? Do they ask to see the money? Do they count it? Do they ask questions about how you got it?

unless he is carrying euros, i don't think that fits in one roller bag. euros can take up 85% less space, and should fit.

the guy says he wants cash. it is his reason, just like it was mine to want cash. i also did business with l/c's, wire transfers, and third party checks. some people want cash. back then, most would accept us dollars.