FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Should I See/Do While Staying at Doubletree Resort Puntarenas, Costa Rica?
Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:55 pm
iahphx
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Points aren't everything. As a Hilton Gold, I will recommend you stay elsewhere. There is no reason to stay in Puntarenas, and this hotel does not get particularly good reviews.

Having recently returned from Costa Rica, I can offer some suggestions. First, the entire coast from Punta Arenas to Manuel Antonio seems to becoming an American colony. It's weird -- all the real estate signs are in English. Much like parts of Florida, everyone builds and the place loses what made it special.

Manuel Antonio (hour and a half away) is sort of worthwhile. The beach in the park is very nice, and some of the animals are still left (not in as much abudance as elsewhere in the country, though). The town around the park isn't so great.

Arenal is also sort of worth it, but that area also suffers greatly from over-tourism.

If you're at all adventurous, read the Lonely Planet "thorn tree" website which tells you where you need to go to see the "real" Costa Rica. The site is a great reality check. You should also read the Moon guide.

The "unreal" Costa Rica isn't bad (more expensive than it should be, you can see my post about overpriced activities), but personally I like "unreal" Hawaii more than "unreal" Costa Rica.