FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling with Lithium-ion batteries
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:05 am
koz

Programs: QF, VA, CX
Travelling with Lithium-ion batteries

I read a lot about the introduction of restrictions with flying with Lithium batteries in early January and of some TSA screeners incorrectly confiscating batteries at some airports because they didn't understand the limit of two battery rule only applied to large batteries not the small ones used in digital still and video cameras, laptops etc.

I haven't read of any problems after the first week or two in January so hopefully the TSA screeners are now aware of the rules. We'll be travelling from Australia next month and in the U.S. and Canada will be flying Alaska Air SFO - SEA, SEA - YYJ, ANC - SCC, ANC - SEA connecting SEA - YVR and then YYC - SEA connecting to SEA - LAX, then LAX - SYD with QF. We'll be away six weeks and I carry 4 batteries for each of our video cameras and still cameras. This allows for batteries not lasting as long as normal in colder climates and not charging for a day or two with the cameras used by myself and my wife.

Has anyone had any problems with batteries since the introduction of the new rules in January? We can put some in my hand luggage and some in my wife's and I carry a camera bag and a laptop bag so can spread the batteries between all of the bags.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Koz