FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:42 pm
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Green Airlines and energy efficiency: A lesson for our times

I figured I'd give the lounge a try instead of crowding the forum with another article...

Part of an article from Daily News, "Sri Lanka's National Newspaper Since 1918"

Dr. Ruwantissa Abeyratne
Thursday, 3 April 2008

Alaska Airlines is an American carrier which has taken measures to conserve fuel by reducing burn. It has adopted many of the same fuel-savings measures that American and other carriers have implemented. A recent audit conducted by Alaska revealed that the airline was doing everything that manufacturers recommended in terms of maintenance.
Audit report

However, the audit report recommended performing engine washes with hot water instead of cold to make them more effective. Alaska also is considering certain fuel- and weight-saving product improvements.

The carrier plans to have CFM 56 engine-performance improvement kits installed on its 737s, and the airline is considering putting carbon brakes on those planes, a measure that would save almost 800 pounds.

It is widely accepted by experts that the key to maximizing fuel efficiency is minimizing increases in aircraft drag, especially those associated with control surfaces that are out of rig and aerodynamic seals that are leaking.

They also recommend that operators look closely at gaps between fairings and external panels. Bad door seals impose a double penalty because the air conditioning system has to work harder, and leaking air can disrupt airflow around the airplane and increase drag.

In the final analysis, however, only a small part of fuel inefficiency can be attributed to the airframe. Most is caused by the way the engines are operated. For example, use of higher takeoff thrust can cause the fuel mileage of engines to deteriorate more rapidly. Conversely, using reduced takeoff thrust can save fuel.