FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passion or Addiction? (Another RTW, plus other bits and bobs)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 11:37 am
Moomba

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Part 8 JFK - SJU - DFW

The photos

A wake up call at 05:30 was the rude awakening to this totally asinine, idiotic, day of mileage running.

Left brain, right brain, err I’m tired let me sleep, NO, you must get out of bed now and have a shower or you will miss your flight. OK.

I was done by 05:50 and heading out the door as I wanted to catch the 06:00 shuttle to the airport. Why do those automated wake up calls always call you twice? Once at the appointed time and then a second time at a most inopportune time when you are mid shave or with a toothbrush in your mouth or sitting on the loo.

Anyway back to the bus. The hotel split the non AA flyers from the AA flyers and we all went to Terminal 8 in one bus. I was expecting to be dropped off at Federal Circle again. Had I have known that the bus drops you off right at the terminal doors I would have given myself the luxury of another half hours sleep.
Oh well you live and learn.

There was a separate area for First and Business class travellers and I queued up for a couple of minutes until an agent became free. She waived me over and I dropped my wad and passport on her desk.

She saw the first coupon and said only to SJU today? I said nope off to DFW after that. She looked up at me and I just said I am mad and smiled. I asked her to change by BA number to my AA number and she said just for the AA sectors I said nope the whole of the rest of the ticket. She types away for a while and said ‘how many sectors are there?’ I said there are 15 left. She saw I had no bag to check and said in a shocked voice you only flying with hand baggage? I explained that it was only these two sectors and I have a separate ticket back to the UK for the following day.
After our little exchange she wished me a pleasant trip and in her mind I am sure she was thinking ‘yes you are mad’.

There was a separate queue at security for First and Business class travellers and I joined it and waited probably 10 minutes before having my id checked and then doing the shoe, liquids shuffle on through bit.

My flight was departing from the satellite building so I headed straight over there and into the AC. Once inside I forgot that I couldn’t use it on a domestic flight and the agent said ‘You don’t seem to be in our system as an AC member. Do you have an Amex Platinum card?’ I said I do but let’s make BA pay and handed over my BAEC Gold card. She said that is fine and let me into the lounge.
There was a lot of seating, a bar, computer stations and coffee / tea facilities with light snacks of bagels and jelly or butter and some orange juice.
I spent an hour or so in the lounge reading and headed on down to my gate. As AA actually knows how to do the boarding process Business and Elites were invited to board first at around 07:35. I stepped forward to the gate had the BP swiped and headed on down the bridge. Did you hear that BA priority boarding for elites!

Flight AA1635 JFK-SJU Seat 5A
Aircraft: 767-300
Departure time: 08:05

I made my way to my seat and got my first look at AA’s new business class seat up close. It does seem a little crammed in on the 767 and I am not sure I would enjoy the experience on an overnighter on this aircraft. The seat itself is comfortable enough and seems to have an infinite amount of adjustment so that you can get it just right.

I was hanging on to my coat whilst a couple of blind AA FA’s waltzed on by collecting everyone’s coat except mine. I have long since given up every trying to get the attention of an AA FA as I am sure they are all deaf and I refuse to yell.

The purser came along with Orange Juice and Water as a pre-take off drink and immediately noticed my coat and said I will be back to collect your coat in a moment. He did as he promised and on his way back grabbed my coat from me.

We pushed back at 08:05, taxied out and started the take off roll at 08:30 with our drinks still in our hands. There was a distinct lack of any announcement from the flight deck on the ground and in the air on this flight.
After the seat belt sign went out we were offered a round of drinks and being the plonker I am ordered a Bloody Mary to get the ball rolling. The purser was working my side of the cabin and he gave me the whole can of mix and two miniatures of vodka.

After drinks the hot towels were handed out.
Next up the meal service began and FEBO was followed where on odd numbered flights the meals are delivered form the back of the cabin. On offer was a cheese omelette with sautéed potatoes or special K cereal. A biscuit (US definition) or raisin bagel were offered as well. On the tray there was a bowl of fruit to accompany the main. The purser was serving the orange juice out of a carafe which was a nice touch.
The meal was fine and quite filling although not overly tasty.

I had an interesting fellow next to me who must keep his favourite stationery supplier in business single handed. As he read, anything from the newspaper, magazine, work papers and even his bible, he would highlight passages with his highlighting pen. Everything he touched seemed to end up marked with a yellow stripe.

There were no personal players on board and the big screen was playing CBS Eye on American followed by the movie Dan in Real Life.

The remainder of the flight was fairly uneventful and we landed at 12:05 a little late as there had been strong headwinds.
On landing I located the Admirals Club and ventured inside with my BAEC card at the ready this time.

The lounge was split over two floors with the bar and the usual coffee machines and snack mix offerings downstairs and some more seating, coffee machine and computers upstairs. It was quite busy when I arrived and spent my time reading and people watching. It was interesting to note how many people would go past the big bowl of snack mix and poke there hand in to grab a couple of pretzels rather then using the scoop and cups provided.
After some time I headed upstairs where it was much quieter and was able to check emails and FT on the computer.
Eventually, but after a long boring 3.5 hours I headed out to the gate to catch my next flight to DFW. How nice it was to be away from the dreadful elevator music I had been listening to for the past 3.5 hours in the lounge.

The noise and bustle of the terminal was a refreshing change.
Boarding was announced not long after I arrived at the gate and again Business Class and Elite passengers were invited to board first.

Flight AA1269 SJU-DFW Seat 4A
Aircraft: 757-200
Departure time: 16:20

I was straight on board and my coat was immediately taken from me as I settled in. There were no pre-departure drinks offered on this flight. The flight was completely full in both classes. There seemed to be an over abundance of people with small children on this flight also.

We pushed back at 16:20 exactly and were in the air 5 minutes later. The captain announced a 4 hour and 52 minute flying time. Errrghh.

The 757 was old, dirty and the seats are dreadful but there was plenty of leg room which made it a little easier to tolerate.

After the belt sign was switched off a round of drinks was offered and I went with a scotch and dry ginger ale. Warm nuts were delivered but I am sure the bowl has shrunk since I last flew with AA.

After the drinks how towels were handed out and I used this opportunity to do a little cleaning for AA including the very grotty window next to me.

The in-flight entertainment was the usual CBS Eye on American followed by an aborted attempt at Becoming Jane which was then replaced with Martian Child.

For lunch on this flight the choice was Beef Sparerib with Mashed Potato or Cheese Ravioli which were both accompanied by a salad and a piece of apple and cinnamon cheesecake for dessert.
The food was quite acceptable for airline food and the red wine I was drinking went down easily as well. A second round of wine was offered during the meal.

After the meal tray was removed I asked for another glass of the red wine but they pulled the old switcheroo on me and came back with a hideous drop more useful I expect for removing varnish from wooden floors.

Interesting observation on this flight was that for an airline that a seat belt trigger happy they still serve hot drinks when the sign is on. Most other airlines I have flown recently including BA, QF and CX they will not serve you a hot drink if the sign is on.

The sign was on a lot during this flight as the slightest bump had that light a going as seems to be the norm on AA. However there did not seem to be an over abundance of people taking any notice, including the crew. One guy sitting over the other side had 2 toddlers with him and both were crawling over the seats whilst the sign was on and he either ignored or was oblivious as he sat watching his computer. Oh well one day one of his kids might crack their skull open and he might learn to control them a little better and take note of the seat belt sign.

The flight was tediously long as I was not entertaining myself with the movie and was only listening to my ipod. Just at the point I was thinking yep another AA only get more service after the meal if you ask when low and behold the FA came out asking if anyone would like a drink. Well what do you know miracles do happen.

Eventually we landed at DFW around 20:30 and I made my way out to the arrivals area and called the Westin to come and pick me up. I was given instructions on where to wait and about 10 minutes later the bus came along.
At the Westin I was given the usual Platinum ‘You’ve been upgraded’ sticker on my key pack, asked for the points bonus and went to my room. On entering my room I realised I had not been upgraded but had been downgraded. This was a standard room and I had booked a corner suite. I was too tired to be bothered fighting with them that night and just crashed for the evening.

This day of mileage running definitely fell into the addiction category as no one would fly that much AA domestically as a passion.

The photos

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 1, 2008 at 2:58 pm