FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Slew of fee increases eff 4/1, incl Direct Ticketing, Pets, UM, CRC, SkyMiles fees...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:26 am
smp9778

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Marylou
Again, I seem to be in the minority. As much as these charges chafe, I'd rather be nickled & dimed on extras than have them cut costs in other areas that would give us clueless SMS agents (or can that desk altogether), grumpy FAs & GAs because their pay got cut, fewer upgrades, fewer award seats that cost more mileage and so on and so on.

Bottom line is that they will have to increase revenue or reduce costs to survive. Just MHO that personally, I'll use the kiosk or pay the Skycap $3, leave the extra bag at home, pack lighter, leave Fluffy with the pet sitter, plan better or eat the change fees to keep Delta my Delta.

Get the tomatoes ready but I feel that if you use more services you should expect to pay more. 2 pet crates?? Good grief. Somebody has to deal with them. And the guy that checks 10 cases of equipment for his business trips doesn't want to have to pay more than me with no checked bag? And please don't even get me started on the UM issue.
Being selfish for a moment, I don't mind 2nd bag fee, Skycap fee, unaccompanied minor fee, etc, as I never utilize those services. I travel almost exclusively with a carry-on, and I don't have a child that flies alone. I also wouldn't pay $25 or $30 to get into the Crown Room (just not worth it to me at almost any price). So most of these fees really don't impact me, even before considering Platinum Medallion waivers, etc.

Ticket change fees are another story, however.