FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:30 am
doog

Originally Posted by jackal
Ouch.

Speaking of a Jeep...I have fallen in love with the new 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited. It drives wonderfully and has all the features I want, from a 4.7L V8 to heated leather seats to a remote start to the MyGig entertainment system to a Boston Acoustics sound system and on from there (even little goodies like rain-sensing wipers, automatic high beams, and a back-up camera). With the connections I have, I will probably be able get this normally $39,200 car for between $25,000 and $30,000 six months old and with 15,000 miles on it. I really shouldn't be getting myself further into debt, but it's hard to pass up a good deal on such a great car, and besides, my current car is beginning to desperately need to be replaced.

The upside is, it won't be available for purchase for another six months, so I have those six months to make a rational, emotion-free decision.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts? Given the current trend in the economy, taking on debt might not be the wisest decision, of course it depends quite a bit on how solid your current employment status is, but everyone's talking recession right now and we're starting to see real job losses, so if you want ot be cautious I'd say hold out a little while. If the economy does go in the crapper you might be able to get a better deal on the car.

On the other hand, I'm always overly cautious when it comes to economic decisions, and if you can get the car for $25,000 that sounds like a pretty good deal. That 6 month cooling off period sounds like a good one to me, we should have a much better idea of what's going on in the economy by then.