FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Alaska Airlines Bored Room
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2008, 6:11 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
One of my friends "down here" actually got hit yesterday due to the difficulties snow causes to some when driving. He was fine thankfully, but his Jeep wasn't quite... it has bent tierods and a bent axle in the front. Apparently the other driver hit the left front side, by the tire. The good news is the other driver had insurance so the damage is covered, all $1300 of it. (He had insurance too but did not cover damage done to his vehicle (can't recall which its called)).

They should seriously have a class on driving in the snow!
Ouch.

I think you're referring to what is known as comprehensive/collision coverage. He probably had liability only (especially if he's a poor college student trying to save money on his insurance premium...).

Speaking of a Jeep...I have fallen in love with the new 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited. It drives wonderfully and has all the features I want, from a 4.7L V8 to heated leather seats to a remote start to the MyGig entertainment system to a Boston Acoustics sound system and on from there (even little goodies like rain-sensing wipers, automatic high beams, and a back-up camera). With the connections I have, I will probably be able get this normally $39,200 car for between $25,000 and $30,000 six months old and with 15,000 miles on it. I really shouldn't be getting myself further into debt, but it's hard to pass up a good deal on such a great car, and besides, my current car is beginning to desperately need to be replaced.

The upside is, it won't be available for purchase for another six months, so I have those six months to make a rational, emotion-free decision.

Any thoughts?