FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New to Govt rate/per diem: Help!
View Single Post
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:50 am
Mazey

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver, dabbling in USAirways
New to Govt rate/per diem: Help!

I have read through various government rate/per diem threads and I am still confused. I recently changed jobs from a private corporation where I stayed where I wanted within reason (no Ritz on the company’s dime) to a nonprofit operating under federal and state grants. I am working under a grant from the USAF and recently traveled to a Springhill Suites, showed them a letter on the company letterhead signed by the CEO stating we were working under the federal government. They said no problem, and gave me the government rate. Being that I have to stay within the limits of the GSA per diem, I wouldn’t have been able to stay anywhere within the area without utilizing the government rate, save for some shady motel.

I will be traveling again soon and noticed Marriott policy states that the gov rate is only for people with gov IDs. I am afraid that upon check-in, my letter isn’t going to hold any weight and I’ll be stuck paying the difference. Can anyone shed any light on this debacle? Worst case I’ll stay at a different chain with less stringent policies, though I am generally loyal to Marriott and it would be a shame for me to have to cut off my business with them from here on out.