FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Concierge: Is it policy to "double sell" rooms
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:19 pm
ediemac1

Programs: Status Free
Question Marriott Concierge: Is it policy to "double sell" rooms

There was an issue with the Marriott Kensington at check-in. It's got my righteous indignation all in a tizzy! I am going to feed this back to the hotel, and to my corporate travel agency too. I reserved the night before my arrival at the Marriott Kensington so I could check in and go straight to my room when I got here. I arrived between 8 and 8:30am. I had no room. I was told they were full the night before and housekeeping wasn't finished. There were about 6 other folks checking in who all got the same story. So, Marriott decided to make a little extra money and sell all our rooms twice! I was offered a free breakfast (Which was continental, btw) and had to wait until 10 for my room. I was not happy. When I stated that I was sure they were NOT going to charge me for the previous night, I got a look of astonishment, a lot of stammering, and finally, an "I'll take care of it". Granted, Check-in is not until 3, but if I'd walked in off the street, they would have accomodated me at 10am. The point of the extra night is to have a room to go to upon arrival. My company does a lot of business with this hotel because of it's proximity to two of our UK locations. It's standard procedure for US employees to book a room for the night prior to arrival in order to check in at 8am. I know the travel agency informs the hotel of the late arrival issue, so they know they will have empty rooms. My issue is those rooms have been paid for!

Is it policy for Marriotts to sell the room again?