FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rental car in Turkey?
View Single Post
Old Mar 16, 2008, 2:58 pm
mijugo

Programs: LH (*gold) / EK / Flying Blue / BMI (*silver)
Originally Posted by turing
I wasn't sure if this should go here or car rental forum, but what the heck: Some friends and I will be staying in Istanbul later this year, and in the interest of seeing Ephesus, we're thinking of flying to Izmir for the day. Then we'd rent a car at ADB and drive to Ephesus.

However, I just confirmed that my US car insurance does not cover me at all outside of North America -- so, what are the insurance options that would be needed for Turkey? I was thinking that with 4 of us, renting a car is more cost-effective than trying to bus it from the airport to Ephesus, but if the rental fees and insurance costs are sky-high, then we may rethink our plans.

Thanks!
To rent a car be sure, that your rate covers the "Theft and Collision Damage Waiver" = LDW and the "Personal Accident cover" = PAI and you should be fine. However, be aware of:

- rental cars are not that cheap (~55-75€ per day for a compact car incl. the insurances) I´d go with one of the big players.
- automatic gear is very uncommon in Turkey so you should be familiar with manual driving
- driving in Turkey (as in most southern european countries) can be a little bit ... exotic.

For a trip from Izmir to Ephesus I´d consider hiring a taxi. With a little bit negociating (important: before entering the car) that should not be more expansive than a rental car. You don´t have to worry about the routing or the traffic as well - the only thing that may happen is that you´ll make a tea-stop at the carpetshop of a very good friend of the driver. But that´s Turkey....