FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport Heads Up - Don't Get Too Close To Expiration Date
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:55 am
HangingOver

You would have found that story funnier had you ever been to US Embassy in Cairo. Only Egyptians work up front and the entire place was looking at him like he was insane. The service may be "standard" but I doubt many people try to take advantage of it in person. Online is the way to go. I get emails from the US embassies in several of the cities that I travel to frequently. Its good to be up on the current vibe but I dont think walking in the front of an Embassy the size of Cairo's is going to quite get you the type of attention you're looking for.

My original point was that passports are incredibly important. Make sure they are current, have plenty of empty pages, arent worn or damaged and are valid for at least 6 mo. before heading out. Expecting to deal with this kind of stuff while on the road can ruin a trip. Case in point:

I was robbed in Asuncion, so there I was in Paraguay w/o a passprt. First I was interrogated. Then I was ingnored. Then I got the run around. Then I was asked for things there was no way I would have. Then I was interrogated again. It dragged on for days and days. It was an unbelievable hassel and a total nightmare. The people I spoke to there didnt seem to care that I was an American citizen, and didnt seem to care I had to get back to the US.

at one point:

me: I dont understand why I am not receiving more help here

he: We are not here to assist American travelers in South America

me: Why are you here then?

he: We are here to look after the interest of the American govt and American businesses located here.

I eventually got what I needed but it was miserable. I am not trying to say that all embassies and counsulates are out to screw Americans. I am just saying that it can be a very unpleasant experience.

Whew....why am I writing all this? I dont even care this much!