FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport Heads Up - Don't Get Too Close To Expiration Date
Old Mar 15, 2008, 1:41 am
HangingOver

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes, looking out for American interests is the goal of the State department.
Yes, some foreign service officers have no interest in consular services, though almost all are forced to spend time doing so at the beginning of their career.
However, services for US citizens are absolutely a part of the mission of the State department. See Strategic Goal 7:
http://www.state.gov/s/d/rm/rls/doss...html/82957.htm
It very well be mandated that way, and I found your link very interesting. As with most branches of govt. however --- what they are supposed to do, what they feel they should do and what they actually do ---- are all completely different concepts.

It has been made clear to me (and I may be the only one) that embassy personel (and they may not all feel this way) dont believe that helping American travelers is on their "to do list." --- regardless of what the US govt has mandated....

I just wouldnt rely on consulate services overseas. My advice is go "prepared" and dont expect help from the USA once you leave it.
Another thing to keep in mind is that when going to an embassy you RARELY will deal w/ and American. The people that are hired to deal with this are locals. If the people inside the building dont FEEL like its their job to help you ---- ummmmm.....good luck.

Last and most definitely least is:

I was at the US Embassy in Cairo once getting extra pages for my passport (and it actually worked out alright for me --- but who knows what happened to the next guy) and some American dude walked up to the window and said "Hi, my name is John Wagner and I am an American citizen. I just wanted to stop in and let you know Ill be in Egypt for about 3 months."

Classic. I think he expected confetti and balloons to drop from the ceiling and free drinks all around.

Cheers.