FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - safest airline within Indonesia / fly at all?
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:02 am
BKKflyforfun

Programs: UA AA NH BR TG
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
But really, you always need to keep safety in perspective. Indonesia's air safety may be deplorable but far more people still die walking down the street than will ever be hurt in airline incidents. Adam Air et al may be 10 times more dangerous than a western airline but I bet even they are 10 times safer than the cab ride to the airport.
I agree. Even if Indonesian carriers are not as safe as US or European carriers the chance of getting involved in an accident with them are pretty remote. I would be more worried about getting hit by a car on the street.

Also, the EU blacklisted all Indonesian carriers because of a general lack of oversight by the Indonesian authorities. This does not mean that all Indonesian carriers have serious safety lapses. I would probably avoid flying Adam Air and similar LCC outfits. Garuda, however, has higher safety standards, not the least because they also fly to international destinations where they are subjected to a more stringent oversight than in Indonesia.

So if you can do all your trips on Garuda, go for it.

Enjoy your trips.