FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - South Africa less than MRU?
View Single Post
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:34 am
alemdohorizonte

Programs: AA EP; Formerly an Over-Entitled UA 1K MM until I wised-up and left UA for AA.
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Amazing. Even accepting that
- the comparisons are not entirely like for like
- the ZAR has since weakened by 4% against the USD (that already makes the SA fare more than USD450 cheaper now by my guesstimate of your total cost)
I would have expected a much closer result based on BA's more aggressive fuel fines and the USD 300 charge.
i too was expecting the cx ticket to be less than the ba one. but even with the egregious 300 ba mru service fee the ticket worked out cheaper in mru.

next time though, as long as the rand stays depressed i think i will purchase in jnb. as i normally head from mru to jnb (not mru-lhr), it can be a pain to time everything to synchronize your schedule with the not-every-day comair flight. plus you waste a ticket segment to get from mru to jnb which you otherwise could use elsewhere.

bottom line, even though it was around us $700 cheaper, next time i would opt for purchasing in jnb.

does anyone have any experience using the aa ticketing service in south africa? perhaps it would be cheaper than cx due to the fuel surcharges imposed by cathay?